The mission of Rise is to partner with communities to build stronger, more equitable St. Louis area neighborhoods. Rise has an operating budget of about $1.9 million and net assets of about $10.7 million. Its staff acts as principal developer, developer-advisor, and policy advisor, and provides technical support to smaller not-for-profit CDCs throughout the region. We have two (2) tax exempt nonprofit supporting organizations, three (3) for-profit affiliates, and twenty-four (24) taxable nonprofit affiliates, and we manage twenty-one (21) real estate related limited liability companies and fourteen (14) limited partnerships. We are also partners in five (5) additional limited partnerships. Please visit www.risestl.org to learn more.
The Director of Accounting is responsible for all financial matters related to the operation of Rise and its affiliate organizations. The Director of Accounting will report to and work closely with the President and Executive Director. In addition, she or he will partner with the senior leadership and the board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. The Director of Accounting will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants. She or he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while serving as the organization’s only accountant.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Oversee the organization’s banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses.
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of operating budgets.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short- and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Represent the company to financial partners and auditors.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
Accounting and Administration
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise one support staff person and the organization’s Asset Manager.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and Rise’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of semi-monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
The Director of Accounting will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 5 years of broad finance experience, ideally experienced in gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership and familiarity with low-income housing tax credits, historic rehab tax credits and other housing and community development financing tools. She or he will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources including government (federal and state) contracts and an affiliate structure with diverse program areas.
The Director of Accounting will have the following experience and attributes:
- CPA, MBA or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years’ experience as Director of Accounting or equivalent, preferably in a nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $1 million.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
EMAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Rise Community Development
No phone calls please.
Rise is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rise is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rise are based on the organization’s needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation or any other status protected by Federal, State or local laws or regulations. Rise will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rise encourages applicants of all ages.