November 18, 2020, 10 AM:
A blustery, chilly day was no match for the enthusiasm of the audience, staff, and dignitaries who attended the groundbreaking ceremony for DOORWAYS 2.0. This celebration was blended between a socially distanced and live-streamed event taking place at the new site at 1101 N. Jefferson Avenue.
The development consists of two distinct projects. The first is 35 affordable apartments, 15 emergency housing units, and approximately 3,400 square feet of client intake and service space. The second is an adjoining building on a separate parcel that will provide program, administrative and retail space. In total, the project will be a three-acre campus on N. Jefferson at Stoddard and Gamble Streets. Rise serves as Development Consultant.
The emcee was the well-known and distinguished Sal Martinez, Executive Director of Employment Connection.
The list of esteemed dignitary speakers included:
- Missouri State Representative, Steven Roberts
- Missouri State Representative, LaKeySha Bosley
- City of St. Louis Mayor, Lyda Krewson
- St. Louis Development Corporation’s Executive Director, Otis Williams
- Director of Health for the City of St. Louis, Dr. Fredrick Echols
- DOORWAYS Capital Campaign Co-Chair, John Beatty
- Project Manager and Associate at Trivers Architecture Firm, Neil Chance
- Executive Director of Rise, Stephen Acree
- President & CEO of DOORWAYS, Opal Jones
Sources of Financing:
- Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit Equity
- Busey Bank
- New Markets Tax Credit Equity
- Missouri Affordable Housing Assistance Program
- City of St. Louis Affordable Housing Trust Fund Loan
- St. Louis Mental Health Board
- MSD Project Clear
- Ameren Rebates
- City of St. Louis CDA HOME Loan
- City of St. Louis CDA COVID-19 Loan
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines
- Capital Campaign / General Partner Equity
Other Partners include:
- Advantage Capital Partners
- Vatterott Properties
- Behavioral Health Response
- Employment Connection
- Food Outreach
- Saint Louis University Psychological Services Center
- Vivent Health
- Wendy Dyer Fund Development Consultants
- EMD Consulting
The remarks from dignitaries were inspirational, especially the heartwarming and eloquent remarks from Opal Jones.
Congratulations to DOORWAYS! We can’t wait for the ribbon cutting!
DOORWAYS took every precaution to keep their guests safe including an open-walled tent, masks required, all chairs placed at 6 ft. apart, and microphones were sanitized between each speaker.